BREVILLE CONSUMER PRIVACY NOTICE
Effective: November 2022
This Privacy Notice explains how information about you is collected, used and disclosed by Breville USA, Inc. and our affiliates including the brands Baratza, beanz, Breville Commercial, ChefSteps, ControlFreak, FoodThinker, Lelit and others (collectively “Breville,” “we,” “our”, or “us”) when you access or use our website, mobile applications, connected appliances, or our other products and services (collectively, the “Services”), or when you otherwise interact with us.
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of the Notice and, in some cases, we may provide you with additional notice such as adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification through our Services. We encourage you to review the Privacy Notice whenever you access our Services or otherwise interact with us to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us. We collect information that you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account, make a purchase, enroll in our classes, participate in the interactive areas of our Services, communicate with us via third-party social media sites, participate in our contests, marketing campaigns, sweepstakes and surveys, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we collect may include:
- First and last name
- Your postal address(es) for billing and shipping
- Your telephone number
- Your email address
- Purchase information, including lifestyle and food preferences, and grocery lists
- Personal details (e.g., date of birth, gender)
- Your IP address
- Photographs, social media usernames and account ID’s
- Feedback and reviews of Breville’s products and any other information you choose to provide.
Whether or not to provide such information is your choice but if you choose not to provide the information we request, you may be unable to purchase products, use our mobile applications or other services, or access certain services, offers and content on our web sites. Also, we may need to contact you via phone, email or mail to address transactional questions or issues such as those specific to your order, even if you have opted to not receive marketing communications from us. In general, you can visit many of our web pages without telling us who you are or revealing any contact information about yourself. California residents please note “Your California Privacy Rights” below about the categories of personal information we collect from you and the purposes for which it will be used.
When you make a purchase or a return, we collect information about the transaction, such as the class or product details, the transaction amount and the date of the purchase/return. Note that we do not store or share payment card information, such as credit card numbers. Financial transactions are processed through a variety of third-party processors. The applicable financial processor depends on the type of transaction. To identify a particular processor, please contact us at email@example.com
Information We Collect Automatically. When you access or use our Services or connect your Breville appliance to our Services, we automatically collect information about you and associate it with information that you provide directly to us. For example, we may collect:
- Website Log Information: We log information about your use of our website, such as your computer’s operating system, the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the web page that referred you to our site.
We may contract with third-party advertising companies to serve ads on our behalf across the internet. To do this, they will collect information about your visits to our website and your interaction with our products and services. They may also use information about your visits to this and other websites to target advertisements. These targeted advertisements may appear on other sites that you visit. This information is collected using a cookie or pixel tag – industry standard technology used by most websites. For more information, see the Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others section below.
Information Collected related to Your Use of Breville connected appliances. When you first pair your connected appliance to our mobile application, it will automatically link to your Breville account. For information about de-linking your appliance from your Breville account, please see “Your Choices” below. When you connect your appliance to a Wi-Fi network, we collect information about:
- the model itself and the network (such as name and connection strength);
- your use of the appliance, such as what you are cooking and how you cook, as well as your cooking and recipe preferences;
- data from the appliance’s sensors and components;
- technical and usage information.
Please see “Use of Information” below to understand how we use this data.
- Device Information: When you access or use our mobile sites or apps or connect your Breville connected appliance to our services, we collect information about the mobile phone, tablet or other device you are using, including the hardware model, operating system and version, device identifiers, mobile network information and information about your use of our Services.
- Location Information: With your consent, we collect information about your location when you access or use one of our mobile applications or connect your Breville connected appliance to our services. For more details about the collection of location information and the choices you have, please see “Your Choices” below.
By linking information: We may combine personal information with information about your online and in-store transactions and other interactions with us, including your purchases. We may also combine your personal information with information we receive from other sources, such as joint marketing partners, public databases, publicly available pages on social media platforms and other third parties. We use this information for market research purposes and to improve the quality of the Services we offer.
Your Social Sharing: If you choose to engage in social sharing, such as by connecting your social media account to your customer account or by logging into your customer account from your social media account, the social media site may share information with us about your use of their services, including profile information, information about your contacts and content you have viewed or liked. Please refer to the social media site’s privacy settings to control how your information is shared. If you submit any personal information relating to other people to us or to our service providers, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We and our service providers use various technologies, including cookies and web beacons, to collect information about you when you interact with our Services or emails, including information about your browsing and purchasing behavior. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our website and your experience, see which areas and features of our website are popular, and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that we use on our website and in our emails that help us deliver cookies, count visits and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see our Cookie Notice and visit About Cookies.
Use of Information
We use your information as necessary to provide you with the Services, including to:
- Provide and deliver the Services you request, manage your accounts, process transactions (such as shipping products and out-of-stock notices), administer warranties, facilitate repairs, and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests, and provide customer service;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes and promotions, and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, and protect the rights, property and safety of Breville, its affiliates, you and others;
- Allow and facilitate providing you with better care;
- Maintain, protect and improve our Services;
- Communicate with you about products, services, classes, recipes, offers, promotions, events and other news and information we think will be of interest to you (for information about opting out of these communications, see “Your Choices” below);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Personalize and improve our Services and provide tailored advertisements, content or features to you;
- To upload and post your feedbacks and reviews (including your photos and social media usernames);
- Further our business purposes and those of our third party service providers, such as, without limitation, troubleshooting, data analysis, audits, security, fraud monitoring and prevention; developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying products or services; identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of promotions; collaborating with our partners; responding to customer service inquiries; and operating and expanding current or future business activities;
- Link or combine with information we collect via other sources in accordance with applicable law to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
Sharing of Information
Breville does not sell your information. We may share information about you as follows or as otherwise described in this Privacy Notice including, but not limited to, the following circumstances:
- With Breville’s affiliates, which are companies controlled by or under common control with Breville including its parent company, Breville Pty. Ltd in Australia;
- With our third-party vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf, for instance to ship products to you, process and administer your payments, sweepstakes/contests or trouble shooting as well as website hosting, data analysis, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, and other services;
- When you purchase third-party products through us, we share information with the suppliers of such products in order to fulfill your order;
- If you connect third-party devices and services to your Breville account or our Services, such as when you choose to interface an appliance or our mobile application with other devices, your information will be shared with such third parties per your direction and with your consent;
- When you sign up for and participate in the interactive areas of our Services, certain information about you will be displayed publicly, such as your name, photos, recipes, and any other information you choose to provide;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Breville or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, joint venture, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company, including in bankruptcy or similar proceedings;
- To respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence, or
- With your consent or at your instruction.
We may also share fully de-identified or aggregated information with third parties.
Social Sharing Features
Our Services offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button). Your use of such features enables you to share information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features. By connecting your customer account and your social media account, you authorize us to share information permitted by the settings you have established with your social media account provider, and you understand that the social media’s use of the information we share will be governed by its Privacy Notice.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
We also work with third-party social platforms, such as Facebook, to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign.
You have the ability to access MyBreville account information we hold about you and to update, correct or delete your account information at any time by logging into your MyBreville account.
If you would like to access, update, correct, or delete personal information not accessible through your account or to request a copy of the personal information that you provided to us, please complete and submit a Data Subject Access form or contact us toll-free at (866) 273-8455. Each of these choices is subject to applicable law. If you are a California resident, please see “Your California Privacy Rights” below.
De-linking Connected Appliances
Once your connected appliance is paired with your Breville account, you can de-link it at any time by disconnecting it via the settings on your mobile device. Note, however, that certain appliances must be paired with a Breville account in order to have full capabilities. If your appliance has been de-linked from an account, you will need to re-link it to enjoy its features fully.
When you first launch some of our mobile applications, access certain features in those mobile applications, or visit one of the pages on our website that collects location information, you may be asked to consent to the collection of location information in order to enable certain features. If you initially consent to our collection of location information, you can later stop this collection by changing the settings on your device. If you do so, certain features of our Services will no longer function.
Promotional Communications from Breville
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us (Breville USA Inc. or our parent company Breville Pty. Ltd. (Australia)) at any time by following the instructions in those communications. Even if you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we will send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can elect to stop receiving these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Do Not Track
Do Not Track is a privacy preference that users can set in their web browsers. When a user turns on the Do Not Track signal, the browser sends a message to websites requesting them not to track the user. For information about Do Not Track, visit All About DNT. At this time, Breville does not respond to Do Not Track browser settings or signals. In addition, Breville may use other technology that is standard to the Internet, such as pixel tags, web beacons, and other similar technologies, to track visitors to Breville’s website. Those tools may be used by us and by third parties to collect information about you and your internet activity, even if you have turned on the Do Not Track signal.
We store the information we collect about you as necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it, or for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, tax, bookkeeping or other compliance obligations.
Additional Privacy Data Protection Notice for Users in the EEA
Use of Services by Minors
Breville is committed to complying with all applicable laws and regulations regarding the collection, storage and use of personal information of individuals under the age of 16 years old (“Minors”).
Except as noted below: (i) our products and services are marketed for and directed towards purchase by or with the consent of adults; (ii) Minors are not permitted to use the Services without the supervision of a parent or legal guardian; (iii) we do not knowingly collect, solicit, or sell personal information from Minors or knowingly allow such persons to register for an online account or to post personal information on the Services; and (iv) should we be made aware that a Minor has provided any personal information to or on any of the Services, we will remove that information as soon as possible.
If you are a parent or legal guardian who believes that your Minor has submitted personal information or other information to us without your consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we verify that you are the parent or legal guardian, at your request, we will promptly provide you with information regarding what, if any, personal information we have collected about your child and how it has been used or shared. We will, at your request, remove personal information about your Minor from the database and instruct our affiliates and third-party partners to do the same.
If you are a Minor, you may request and obtain removal of certain content or information posted on the Services by completing and submitting a Data Subject Access form or contact us toll free at (866) 273-8455. Please be advised that our removal of your post(s) does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted on the Services.
Your California Privacy Rights
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) became effective on January 1st, 2020. Under the CCPA, residents in California have the right to know what personal data is being collected about them and to delete the personal data held by a business if certain grounds apply and if the business is legally required to retain such personal information, whether the personal data is sold and to which parties is the personal information is sold, and to prohibit the sale of such persona data to any third parties.
In this section, we’ve provided some legally required disclosures under the CCPA. There shouldn’t be anything surprising in this section, and we’ve tried to explain our privacy practices in plain English throughout this Privacy Notice. This section supplements the information provided in this Privacy Notice and applies only to California residents.
Personal Information Categories We Collect: For purposes of this California Privacy Rights section, “personal information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household. Personal information does not include:
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act or CCPA, California residents have certain rights regarding their data, including:
California residents also have the right to not be discriminated against if they choose to exercise these CCPA privacy rights.
Breville does not sell your personal information.
Below is a summary of the personal information by categories, as identified and defined by the CCPA, that we may currently collect or have collected in the last twelve (12) months, the purposes for which we’ve used the PI and the types of third parties to whom we’ve disclosed it. “Service providers” means our third-party vendors, consultants and others who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf. “Business partners” means other parties we work with to help our business, such as with joint research or development.
Category and Sources of Information
|How we use it||How we share it|
|Identifiers We collect this information from our users, customers and business partners. We also generate identifiers internally.||To enable use of our Services, to communicate with you; to understand how our users interact with our Services; to improve our offerings; and for our marketing and advertising purposes.||We share this data with our service providers and with business partners, including those to whom you instruct us to send this information.|
|Personal Information under California Civil Code section 1798.80 We collect this information from our users, customers and business partners.||To enable use of our Services; to communicate with you; to understand how our users interact with our Services, to improve our offerings; and for our marketing and advertising purposes.||We share this data with our service providers and with business partners, including those to whom you instruct us to send this information.|
|Protected classifications We collect this information from our users and customers||To enable use of our Services; and to understand how our users interact with our Services.||We share this data with our service providers and business partners.|
|Commercial information We collect this information from our customers, and generate it internally during transactions with our customers||To enable transactions you’ve requested; to understand how our users interact with our Services; and for our marketing and advertising purposes.||We share this data with our service providers and business partners.|
|Electronic network activity information We collect this information from our users and customers||To enable use of our Services and to communicate with you; to understand how our users interact with our Services; to improve our offerings; and for our marketing and advertising purposes.||We share this data with our service providers and with business partners, including those to whom you instruct us to send this information.|
|Geolocation data We collect this information from our users and customers||To enable use of our Services to communicate with you; to understand how our users interact with our Services; to improve our offerings, and for our marketing and advertising purposes.||We share this data with our service providers.|
|Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information We collect this information from our users and customers||To identify you; to enable use of our Services; and for safety purposes.||We share this data with our service providers.|
|Inferences We generate this information internally based on the information categories above||To enable use of our Services; to improve our offerings; and for our marketing and advertising purposes.||We share this data with our service providers.|
How to Exercise Your California Privacy Rights: You, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a request related to your Personal Information. The easiest way to do so is to complete and submit a Data Subject Access form here. Alternatively, you may contact us toll free at (866) 273-8455.
As required under applicable law, we must take steps to verify your request before we can provide Personal Information to you, delete Personal Information, or otherwise process your request. To verify your request, we may require you to provide your name, physical address, email address, contact information, information about previous transactions, or other information necessary for verifying your identity. If you have only visited our public Sites and did not provide any Personal Information to us via a web form or through the registration process, we will need you to provide us with your IP address or device ID in order for us to determine if we have that information because we will not be able to do so from your name, physical address, email address, contact information, or previous transactions.
You may designate an authorized agent to request any of the above rights on your behalf. We require the agent to submit proof that they have been authorized directly by you to act on your behalf and may deny requests absent this authorization. We may also request verification of your identity.
If you request that we provide Personal Information to you, we will deliver it as required by law within 45 days after receipt of a verifiable request, unless we notify you that we require additional time to respond, in which case we will respond within such additional period of time required by law. We may deliver the Personal Information to you electronically or by mail at your option. If electronically, then we will deliver the information in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, in a readily useable format that allows you to transmit the information.
In certain situations, we may deny a request, such as if your information is needed to fulfill a pending transaction or for a legal obligation. If we deny a request, you may appeal that decision by emailing email@example.com.
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing by sending your written request to:
Breville USA, Inc.
19400 S Western Ave.
Torrance, CA 90501, USA
Attn: Data Protection Officer